"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Dear God...

... in my next life can you please give me a voice that can hold a tune?

Harvesting peas, or the subsequent weeding that results therefrom - with my MP3 player plugged into my ears with RMan's iphone earphones, singing along to Cat Stevens, Luther Vandross, Queen, Josh Groban, Barbra Streisand, Chris de Burgh and Nickelback tunes - turns into purgatory for RMan if he is within earshot. (Yeah, I know - an eclectic mix of music, but I never said I was normal, did I?)
Shelling peas to music (and reading) too...
The music certainly assists with the tedious chore, but it would be great if RMan didn't have to leave the vicinity in order to preserve his sanity...

I love singing, God.

And I think I sound fabulous.

But, I have heard what I sound like when Mike, my grandson, surreptitiously recorded me on RMan's iPhone.  And it is not as pleasant as I think.

But I love music, and can't stop myself from joining in when I hear a song that appeals to me...

So, if you could see your way to giving me that amazing gift, I (and many others) would be extremely grateful.

Thanks, Lord.

6 comments:

  1. This one has me smiling. I often listen to music on my ipod while working outside. There's usually no one else around so of course I often sing along. Loudly. Regardless of the song.

    Earlier this year I was working in a garden and a Jimi Hendrix song came on. At one point I stood up and joined in on air guitar, singing along of course. Then I noticed my neighbor standing there. I hadn't heard him come up. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - Oh, I've done the whole"throwing hands up in the air to emphasize the words" bit too...

      Anyone watching me - thoughies!!! ;)

      Delete
  2. It is just wrong that some of us who love music can't carry a tune in a bucket! Me...I would love a good singing voice. But then I have already decided that in addition, in my next life I want to be tall and thin and rich, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - Nah, don't want any of that - if I had a voice it would give me more happiness than height, girth and transient wealth. But, there again, perhaps the voice could help supply the latter... ;)

      Delete
  3. Hee Hee. I feel the same. I usually belt out a tune in my closed car on the way to or from work. I have no idea what i look like to other road users, but then again - don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simone - When I used to drive to work (as opposed to working from home) I couldn't resist singing at the top of my voice whilst my hands played the bongo's on the steering wheel... I didn't care either - t'was the once place I could sign (sic) at the top of my voice ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.