"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 1 May 2014

Thought for Thursday 7

Firstly, welcome Donald.  I'm tickled pink that you clicked the followers button :)


"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." (Ancient Indian Proverb)
As those of you in the northern hemisphere proceed with your Spring seed planting / soil preparation, please remember whatever you put into the ground may last longer, or have far greater (and not necessarily positive) consequences than you think.  Where possible, please be as organic as you can - for the sake of those we leave behind, and of those yet to come...

6 comments:

  1. Always a good reminder.....
    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - It's the strangest thing - all the comments you post go to the trash folder - and I can't figure out why..?

      You have an excellent week too :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't said anything in awhile and I just wanted to say how much I admire what you folks are doing. You are an inspiration to a lot of people. Following your dream is a good way to live. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mohave Rat - Thank you :) If one doesn't have a dream to follow, then what is the point of life? So much can be achieved if one has a positive outlook - negativity just pulls one down and keeps one down I reckon.

      Delete
  3. I like that picture very much. One of the things I wish I had is a better view of the mountains here. I live on the top of one, but the forest hems my buildings in, especially in spring and summer. I have to walk up the mountain to the topographical crest for a really good view of the Blue Ridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - Our old town house was situated in a valley, which was enclosed with mountains one three sides and a bay to the south on the other. Sunrise at this time of year there happened at 8.25a.m. compared to 7.10 a.m. here, and sunset was at 4.30 p.m. there compared to 5.45p.m. here. Gaining those extra sunny hours in winter has it's benefits :)

      Adding a stunning view is an extra bonus :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.