"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Friday 13 April 2012

Easter on the farm - Part 1

My apologies for my silence this past week - I have been feeling terribly despondent concerning the non-sale of our town house.  10 months, 40-odd viewers, and not a single offer...  I know I can't hurry the process, and have to remain optimistic and patient, but it's difficult and it caused my writing mojo to temporarily desert me.... LOL


You recall my telling you about the ant problem we had, as well as the enormous cutworms.  And I also mentioned that we had purchased compost and left it in the hole we have dug for our future cellar.  We deposited it there because we didn't want the wind to blow it away before we could use it.


Well, we had rain - lots of rain... 100mm in the last month, and it continued whilst we were there over the Easter Weekend.  Brilliant!  And, naturally, the rain filled the compost-filled-cellar hole.


This is the sight which greeted me...
Can you see all the cutworm which have drowned - who
knows how many more are below the surface?  That's a
hectic number of destructive insects!
Now, I realize that a lot of the goodness will have been washed out of the compost.  But, the fact that all the cutworm residing in the compost have been eliminated is, in my book, a huge plus!  The compost will still retain it's water-absorbing qualities, and I can always add some Talborne Organics to supplement the nutrients which have been washed out.


As we were doing our regular "on-arrival inspection" of the property RMan noticed what looked like dog-doo in one of the new flowerbeds which I had made on either side of the front steps.  On closer inspection we discovered that it was actually owl cast or pellets.
If you look closely you can clearly see the jaw bone
of a rodent - mouse or rat I don't  know. But I'm
loving the existence of this pest controller :)
Owl cast is made of the left over material which the owl hasn't digested after consuming it's meal (bones, fur, etc), and which it expels through it's mouth.  Judging from the size of this cast is is not a small owl...!


I love this eco-friendly pest controller - and in fact, RMan and I had already made a decision that as soon as we could afford it we were going to purchase an owl nesting box, and a bat house :)  Knowing that there are owls about, I reckon we had better get one sooner, rather than later...


They (I'm hoping that there are more than one) need to made to feel at home a.s.a.p.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Dani
    Sorry you've been unable to see. It seems to be a tough market everywhere.
    And Yay to drowned cutworms!!! I have a skunk that is digging up my whole yard looking for those. It's always something, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue- Oh, yes it is. Only 9 houses / month have been sold in my area, as opposed to 35 in normal times!

      Wonder if badgers also dig up yards - one was spotted by our dam a couple of weeks ago...

      Delete
  2. In our neighborhood the few houses that are up for sale take about a year+ to sell. One just sold for about 10% less than it would have a few years ago. Buyers market. Frustrating to be sure. It WILL sell eventually Dani. Probably when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanmi - Yup, reckon the 10% discount may sway the sale - at least that is what we're hoping...

      From your fingertips to the Man Upstairs ear - please, let it be soon... :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, putting the compost in that hole certainly was a blessing in disguise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the sale of your town house...may it be soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr H - It was, wasn't it :) Thanks - yes, hopefully :)

      Delete
  4. How great that you have owls! Attracting predatory birds that eat rodents will be a boon for your garden. Sorry about the trial you are going through selling your 'town' home; it must be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Mac - I, too, am thrilled about the owls :)

      Our town house sale is in the hands of the good Lord - and it will be finalized when the time is right. But the waiting gets to me now and then...

      Delete
  5. The house market is definitely not great at the moment, but there are always a few Gautengers willing to fork out the bucks for a good coastal property. Holding thumbs for you! The rain on Easter weekend was awesome - glad it drowned some cutworms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GG - No, it's not...! We've had Gautengers and Germans round - interested, but no offers. Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. There are definitely a few owls in the area. We have heard them hooting softly to each other across the fields. One evening I was standing in the dark with John's little dog. An owl came by, swooped down and then either saw me or else realised that Witpoot was not a rabbit, back-pedaled and continued on its way. Owl-houses are definitely a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teach - Haven't heard or seen them, but we were told there was badger at our dam :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.