"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 29 March 2012

Saturday 31st March...

... at 8.30 p.m. is Earth Hour once again.  Earth Hour in our home means that everything connected to grid power gets turned off.   Pity it's not going to be the following weekend - we're going to spend the Easter weekend on the farm, and grid power doesn't even know we exist there LOL


So, we'll use our solar light and candles for lighting.  And RMan better hum - I can't sing for toffee!  Or perhaps we can just listen to the rain drops splashing down - very welcome rain is predicted for Friday and Saturday.  18 - 20oC temperature - so it won't be cold - that's a blessing.


And, apart from the rain, ours is a south facing town house and garden (in the Southern Hemisphere) so I am unable to use my solar oven.  I will have to scratch my head and decide what I can cook, without using any power, this year.


Last year I made RMan and RSon Moroccan Beef in my hay box.


Another fondue?  It doesn't seem right to have a fondue for two people only (RMan and I) - and Sunday is another show day for the house, so that cuts out having people round the night before - they make too much mess and will probably destroy my spring cleaning (in autumn, I hear you think - spring cleaning in autumn can therefore only be for a show day LOL) efforts, and our favourite guest generally stays until after 3.00 a.m. - we'll be knackered on Sunday if we invite him. LOL


Perhaps I should cook a wholesome soup in my hay box, and serve it with fresh rolls?  I can always heat it up in the fondue pot prior to eating...?


Yes - I reckon a good pot of pea soup - it's RMan's favourite, and it can simmer away in the haybox all day.  And, in addition it get's a hefty dose of (concealed) veggies into his meat eating body - peas, carrots and potatoes :)  Perfect - nothing nicer than delving into a steaming pot of soup when it's raining!


What are your plans for Earth Hour?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dani! You were just in my blog earlier and left a comment and I could not wait to come visit. Your home and garden is beyond beautiful and I can't wait to come and visit when I have a wee more time. Lovely lovely lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GetSoiled - Welcome :)

      Thank you for your lovely comments - I, too, am enjoying discovering your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Be sure to post about the hay box soup (please:) When I made hay box stew a few years ago (after reading a post here) that became one of the most visited blog posts I've ever posted. I've heard of Earth Day .. but not Earth Hour .. will have to skedaddle over there and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs Mac - I will :) Are you going to join Earth Hour?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.